Social Media changing Lives Conference by the Online collaborative at AUB can only be described as a successful event that gathered a unique strand of bloggers and/or tweeps in one room for nine hours. But, i met new Lebanese bloggers; the minds behind many initiatives and ideas in Lebanon; and lastly, many AUBites with promising futures.
For those who could not make it, i have complied My list of new people,
- H.M Ambassador to Lebanon, Tom Fletcher, was the key note speak of SMCL. He describes himself as a twiplomat, trying to survive in the terrain of SM. Check out his speech here and follow him on Twitter.
- Yorgui Teyrouz, is the founder of Donner Sang Compter (DSC) which is a non profit organization that is working on establishing an efficient blood donation system online in Lebanon using SM, since a national one is non existent. It is truly a great and crucial initiative, quoting Teyrouz “SM is not changing lives but saving lives.” For more information on DSC, click here and please be sure to follow Teyrouz and DSC on Twitter
- Nadine Moawad, a feminsit active and founder of Nasswiya . Check out her website and follow her on Twitter.
- Loryne Atoui is the mind behind One Wig Stand. Inspired by her friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer, Atoui founded One Wig Stand in 2010 as a breast cancer awareness and support group based in Beirut where survivors can share their stories. I thought this is a great initiative as topics such as cancer, in particular related to women, are a taboo in this part of the world. Check out their website for more information and follow Atoui on Twitter.
- Assad Thebian, is a local Media consultant and the mind behind Beirutyiat, he was a panelist on how Social media influencex decision making and gave a presentation on the impact of censorship in Lebanon. Follow him on Twitter.
- 3 Food blogs you should follow; Cynthia Bu Jawde managed Strawberry Blu, a blog which specialized in Wellness, Nutrition, Dieting, & Cooking ; Loulwa Kalache‘- a good friend and excellent cook managed Pearl’s Powder, a blog dedicated to food as a science ; and Particia Moghames who manages a nutrition blog, Paty M’s Nutrition World.
- Mher Krikorian is a photoblogger, a talented one might i add. At times, a picture is truly worth a thousand words, as Krikorian said, we all express ourselves differently, why not through pictures.
- Andrew Bossone gave one of the most interesting presentation throughout the whole of the conference, how the revolutions impacted music, art and so forth. He is definitely worth following on Twitter, please do check out his website.
- The last segment was dedicated to local bands who use Social Media as a platform to promote their music and connect with their fans. All are brilliant and all are worth checking out; Anthony Touma, EpiSode, LazzyLung and Poly.
Alright, I am finishing this post with Malek Teffaha’s comedy skit on how people abuse SM. Enjoy.